This page is based on a Wikipedia article written by contributors (read/edit).
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
In 1896 the Commissioner's office moved to an Anglo-Gothic revival building, which it still occupies to this day.
As its name suggests, it was made to accommodate 20 officers and 100 seamen.
However, the building was actually conceived to commemorate the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh in 1870. Computers were first used by the Mumbai police in 1976.
James Tod, the then Lieutenant of Police was appointed as the first Deputy of Police on 5 April 1780. Subsequently, the designation was changed to "Deputy of Police and High Constable". During this time, a thorough revision and re-arrangement of policing in the area outside the Fort was carried out.
The troublesome area known as "Dungree and the Woods" was split up into 14 Police divisions, each division being staffed by two English constables and a varying number of Peons (not exceeding 130 for the whole area), who were to be stationary in their respective charges and responsible for dealing with all illegal acts committed within their limits.
This Bhandari Militia was composed of around 500 men and was headquartered at Mahim, Sewree and Sion.